Kappa X Wireless Vibration Sensor – Introduction
Kappa X Wireless Vibration Sensor is the newest product designed and developed by Sensoteq under the technical guidance of the RMS Team. (Press Release)
- Triaxial sensor for vibration and temperature
- Wireless continuous health monitoring for a wide range of machinery
- l0kHz FMax enabling earlier warning and increased diagnostics capability
- Features a small footprint, waterproof housing and a replaceable battery
00:00 – At a Carbon neutral steam and power plant
00:42 – How we got started with Wireless Vibration Sensors
00:50 – Sensoteq Kappa X: RMS add technical guidance
01:07 – Why would I want to use wireless sensors?
01:46 – Reduced onsite visits one of the biggest benefits
02:02 – Massive difference, monthly routes or every minute
02:35 – Importance of integrating sensors within a CBM system
03:02 – Going on site to see the sensors in location
03:20 – Install sensors on a boiler feed pump and motor
03:47 – Surroundings can make wireless transmission challenging
04:07 – Adding 4 sensors to the pump and motor
04:37 – Placing the sensor as close to the source of the vibration
“We have successfully resolved problems much earlier by using the Kappa X Wireless Vibration Sensor. The Team at RMS are condition monitoring and reliability specialists, and sensors are part of our future journey.” – Condition Monitoring Engineer, Food Processing Plant
How does the Wireless Vibration Sensor work?
Gateway and Kappa X technical specifications
Sensoteq’s proprietary wireless technology utilises a sub 1GHz channel to transmit data, this ensures that existing wireless technology such as Bluetooth or WiFi (2.4GHz) is not impacted. Our wireless channel has been designed to achieve maximum range in industrial environments, where large metal and concrete structures are commonplace.
- Standard Resolution Waveform & Spectrum @ 10kHz (every 24 hours)
- Measurement with Configurable Options (sampling window / frequency / resolution)
- RMS Velocity, RMS Acceleration & Peak to Peak (every minute)
- Temperature (every minute)
- 10kHz FMax
- 64G Peak Vibration
- IP69K Ingress Protection
- 5 Year Battery (User Replaceable)
- Hazardous Area rating
- 10kHz FMax (Daily Waveforms, Envelope spectrum)
Kappa X captures a time waveform at a sample frequency of 25.6kHz. This resolves to a 10kHz FMAX (maximum frequency) for analysis at 6400 LOR (Lines of Resolution). This is ideal for vibration analysis of industrial machinery, covering any applications running from nominal to very high speeds, such as gearboxes. It is possible to envelope the signal using Sensoteq’s Analytix platform to provide an unparalleled level of diagnostic capability in a wireless sensor
- Smart Wake (Intelligent Sleep Mode, Saves Battery Life)
By sensing the vibration generated from your machinery, the Kappa sensor can enter an ultra-low power mode to save battery life. As the machine turns on, the sensor will start to capture vibration data again with the first waveform being taken at a key moment during the duty cycle of your machinery
- Auto Ranging (Max Pk-Pk of 128G, High sensitivity at +/-8G)
All machinery is different. Most machines are designed to reduce the amount of vibration entering the system, so being as sensitive as possible is key to discovering certain faults. With a minimum range of +/-8G the Kappa sensor will detect even the smallest faults. Other applications are designed to induce vibration as part of the process, causing a very high energy signal. The Kappa sensor will automatically scale up to +/-64G to cope with this increased vibration, ensuring every high energy peak is captured. Our robust Auto-Ranging technology will ensure every waveform is captured at the right range
- Smart Technology
Kappa X features all the benefits expected of a smart sensor as standard. Smart Wake technology enables the sensor to enter ultra-low power mode which preserves battery life. Auto Ranging allows the sensor to automatically scale up to +/-64G to cope with peak energy exerted by the machine being monitored. With the ability to upgrade firmware and a replaceable battery, Kappa X features one of the best wireless sensor lifespans on the market
“The Kappa X wireless sensor solution goes beyond our expectations!” – Maintenance Manager, Chemical Plant
- Truly Wireless: Fast and easy implementation in hard to reach areas, our sensors are simple to retrofit, achieving greater plant coverage
- Improved Safety: Keep your people out of harms way. Remove technicians from rotating parts and prevent hazards arising from failure, including environmental damage from system leaks
- Rapid ROI: A cost effective solution to achieve full plant coverage, our systems achieve rapid ROI – typically in less than 2 months
- Data every minute: Continuous monitoring captures data every minute allowing full visibility of machine health, detecting faults early and preventing unplanned downtime
- Easy Maintenance: Compact design and long battery life means our sensor solutions are plug and play. IP69K makes them suitable for the toughest environments
- Full integration: API available for complete system integration, outputting to your maintenance platform to enable full digitalisation
RMS Case Studies
Gear Pump Problem
Critical seal flush pump for a larger acid circulation pump in an Atex-zoned area. 4 kW gear pump 1480 RPM, with 12 teeth on the pump gears. Short term tri axial readings every 3 minuntes, Spectrum / Waveform every 24 hours.
Fan Bearing Distress
Greased – Food Sector
A great example showing how the Kappa X wireless sensor highlighted a lubrication issue on a fan bearing that was promptly rectified by the application of grease with remote monitoring support.
Gearbox Brg Defect
Critical vibrating cleaning screen for a food production factory. Vibrating screen, 2 off gearboxes run at 200mm/sec RMS 840 RPM. Bearing defect monitored, avoided plant shutdown until end of production campaign saving thousands of pounds in operating costs.
Fan Unbalance Problem
Power Plant – Food Sector
A sharp increase in 1X fan vibration levels prompts an investigation. With minute by minute data the team could look back at when the increase started, giving clues for the root cause. This lead to deeper inspection until the root cause was rectified.
Fan Bearing Defect
CHP Power Plant
Kappa X picked up a bearing defect on a large fan, the fault was tracked using the data until an planned window for replacement became availiable.
Pump Blockage Problem
The client was experiencing repetitve blockage problems on vertical pumps and was unable to accurately identify and resolve the issue ahead of pump failure.
Case Study and Kappa X Solution Review
In-depth Fan Greasing
Before & After
A detailed look at how the Kappa X can be used to evaluate the lubrication status of a bearing in operation. With before and after data this is a great example evaluation case by James Sylvester from JPS Reliability.
Extra Features Review
Some of the extra features in the HMI Software highlighted: Alarm Score. Overall TImelines. Waterfall. Powerband Trends. Time Waveforms. Spectrum. Analysis Groups. Reports. API.
Hand Held compared to Wireless
Motor & Fan
Motor NDE Data Comparison. Fan NDE Data Comparison. Summary of Sensoteq solution.
Alan S –
I’m looking forward to exploring the Kappa X solution in more detail. Congratulations to all involved!
Thanks Alan, and do let us know if you have any questions. We’re happy to help.
Philip H –
Wow! This is great. Kudos to the teams from Sensoteq and RMS. I’ll be in touch soon.
Thanks for the kind words, Philip. Talk soon!