Introduction to Iris M™ Motion Amplification Camera
RDI Technologies Iris M™ Camera and patented Motion Amplification technology measures deflection, displacement, movement and vibration not visible to the human eye.
- Every pixel in the camera’s view is a sensor capable of measuring vibration or motion
- High levels of accuracy enhance understanding of what creates the motion
- Proprietary video processing algorithms extract the meaningful data
- Measure and quantify any structural assets that a camera can see
00:00 – A revolutionary way to visualise vibration problems
00:38 – What is Motion Amplifcation technnology?
00:52 – From 2 or 3 sensors on a machine, to 2 million!
01:11 – What applications would this work well on?
01:41 – What is the focal range of the camera?
02:01 – How easy is it to capture the data?
02:30 – Seeing really is believing – it’s so visual!
02:59 – Is it comparable to ODS analysis?
03:14 – What vibration readings can be taken?
04:08 – List of fault types with MA technology
“We have successfully found problems that we would not have known about by using the Motion Amplification kit (Iris M).” – Asset Condition Engineer, Transport for London
Motion Amplification in 30 seconds
Pump Base Problem Visualisation
Finding the root cause
A great example showing the power of MA as a visualization tool. The pump shows poor base security. Vibration levels were 8mm/sec RMS.
Which features are available with the Iris M™?
Iris M’s proprietary Motion Amplification® software produces easy to understand videos of the actual movement across your equipment or machinery which enables far more effective communication between technical and nontechnical personnel, enhancing decision-making.
|LIVE MOTION AMPLIFICATION® Apply amplification before acquiring a recording. Scan assets instantly to see motion in real time.||FREQUENCY FILTERING Bandpass, bandstop, lowpass, and highpass filtering of time waveform and video.||TRANSIENT MOTION AMPLIFICATION® See Motion Amplification® of small motions as an object moves through the scene.|
|TIME WAVEFORMS, SPECTRA, AND ORBITS Unlimited number of regions can be drawn in the video to measure displacement. All measurements are simultaneous.||MOTION MAPS Show colorized image overlays of individual frequencies or overall motion.||TRANSIENT PATH PLOT Show the path of an object in the video as well as in the plot.|
|STABILIZATION Entire frame and region based image stabilization.||TOP FREQUENCY FILTERING Automatically determine frequencies of interest and create multiple filtered data sets with a single click.||VIDEO ANNOTATIONS Add text, shape, annotations, and company logo overlays with export to video.|
|DATA EXPORT Export waveform, spectra, orbits, and object paths to .csv file.||SHAFT INSPECTION Visually inspect rotating shafts and measure their displacement while under operation.||VIDEO SIDE-BY-SIDE Side-by-side playback of original and Motion Amplification® video.|
What Add-on’s are available for the Iris M™?
Iris M™ Stereo Vision
Iris M™ Stereo Vision is a two-camera Motion Amplification® system that will enable full-field vibrational measurements to be taken simultaneously in all directions (3 dimensions/axes). Iris M Stereo Vision uniquely gives users the ability to acquire synchronized waveform and spectral data for virtually any region of interest, anywhere on the asset in just one data capture.
This multidimensional measurement is engineered to function as one system, helping to avoid over- or under-testing problems caused by single-axis vibration tests. Iris M Stereo Vision increases visibility, efficiency, and helps users see patterns, trends, and non-obvious relationships in just a single test.
Stereo Vision Benefits
Full field-of-view, synchronized, multidimensional vibration imagery in one system
• Measure more in one field of view
• See patterns, trends, and non-obvious relationships with full field of view
• Reduction in set-up time in the field; more versatile
• Automated, immediate data
• Synchronized, single point of multidimensional data
• Imagery driven insights that are easy to capture and understand
• Less costly than triaxial sensors
• Recommended for indoor use only
Iris M™ Traveler
Use the power of Motion Amplification® faster than ever with the Iris M™ Traveler. Designed to move with you, the Iris M Traveler is a portable, compact, and lightweight vibration analysis system that lets you quickly capture millions of data points on the go.
RDI Technologies: “With minimal setup and breakdown time, you can easily gear up and acquire critical data in tight spaces and logistically challenging environments, elevating your reliability program’s capability and accessibility. Well-equipped for every situation, the Traveler configuration of the Iris M™ features:
- single zoom lens with multiple fields of view
- high-powered battery light
- lightweight professional tripod
- ‘hands-free’ touch-screen tablet
- flexibility & maneuverability in hard-to-reach spaces.
The Tablet Mode interface features new tap, touch, and swipe gestures for simple, easy navigation, and an intuitive and smooth RDI Acquisition and Motion Amplification® experience. Whether you’re a current Iris M system user or new to Motion Amplification®, the Iris M Traveler is packed with performance to help make the most of every point of data virtually anywhere you go.”
Watch the recent ‘Traveler Webinar‘ recording from the 18th July.
Review the Traveler Specification Sheet.
Iris M™ Laser Tach
The Laser Tach integration can be used to “freeze” the shaft or blade, and nonsynchronous motion can be visualized.
- Range: Optical: 5 to 200,000 RPM
- Camera Sync Range: 5 RPM – 7500 RPM at Full Frame
- Totalizer: 1-999,990
- Operating Range: 2 inches to 25 feet*, ±70°
- Power: (2) “AA” 1.5 VDC batteries (30 hours)
- Accuracy: Optical:±0.01% of reading; Contact:±0.05% of reading (rpm)
- Resolution: 0.001 to 10 RPM (range dependent)
- Environmental: Optical:±0.01% of reading; Contact:±0.05% of reading (rpm)
- Memory: Maximum, Minimum and Last reading
Review the Laser Tach Specification Sheet.
Iris M™ Colour Camera
The Iris M™ Color Camera lets you capture the same amazing videos using Motion Amplification®, now available in color!
- Sample rate: 180 fps in HD, up to 1,300 fps at reduced resolution
- Amplification factor: 1-500x
- Frequency range: Up to 5,400 CPM at 180 fps; Maximum: 39,000 CPM at 1,300 fps with reduced resolution
- Minimum displacement: 0.02 mil (0.25 μm) at 3.3 ft (1m) with 50mm lens, 0.005 mils (0.125 μm) at close focus
Review the Colour Specification Sheet.
“Videos from the Iris M platform are produced within seconds of data collection. In other words, Iris M saves you time and money.” – CM Technician, Oil Industry, Scotland
What are the Iris M™ technical specifications?
|LENSES 6mm, 12mm, 25mm, 50mm, 100mm.||MINIMUM DISPLACEMENT <0.01 mils (0.25 μm) at 3.3 ft (1m) with 50mm lens, 0.005 mils (0.125 μm) at close focus.||ACQUISITION SYSTEM Si7 processor, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, dual batteries, lightweight, MIL-STD-810G standard drop protection, 3 yr accidental damage protection.|
|PLAYBACK/EXPORT SPEEDS 4x original framerate to 1 fps.||SAMPLE RATE S180 fps in HD, up to 1,300 fps at reduced resolution.||MOTION AMPLIFICATION® FACTOR 1-500x.|
|FREQUENCY RANGE Up to 5,400 CPM @ 180 fps Maximum: 39,000 CPM at 1,300 fps with reduced resolution.||USB3 CABLE LENGTH 9.84 ft (3m).||OPTIONAL ACCESSORY KIT LED light: 23,000 Lux @ 1 m, Li-ion light battery, light stand, extra vibration pads, computer stand.|
How frequent are the Iris M™ Software Updates?
Key Features – V3.5 Update
Key Features – V1-0 to 3.2 Update
- Best-In-Class Digital Image Stabilization: Cutting edge image stabilization techniques have been developed and implemented to address environmental challenges such as flexible floors or mounting surfaces. Applying this post-processing technique will further enhance the stability and clarity of mp4’s.
- Phase Overlay: With the newest version of Motion Amplification® analysis software, you can now graphically display relative phase throughout the image for a specified frequency. Similar to Motion Map (available in 3.0), the new Phase Map feature allows the user to visualize relative phase as different colors across the entire image and easily see elements that are out of phase as opposite colors. This gives the user quick access to approximate phase relationships without the use of ROI’s.
- Difference Plots: Provides users the ability to determine relative motion between multiple ROI’s.
- Metrology (Ruler – Distance & Angle): Users can overlay distances and angles onto videos and document the distances between objects within an image. This feature can also determine angles between critical lines or features within an image.
- Audio Enabled Video Editing: Narration and background music can be added to Motion Studio Projects, enhancing users’ ability to tell the story and report findings within the exported mp4.
Download the PDF Overview.
Key Features (Interview) – V2.5 Update
RDI Technologies Inc. keep pushing the Motion Amplification Technology boundaries. In this short video (5 mins), Keith Gallant CRL interviews Jeff Hay CEO of RDI Technologies on the latest key features of the v2.5 IRIS software update. If you are involved with Condition Monitoring this technology is a game changer not to be missed.
How does the Iris M™ perform in the field?
Aquistion and Amplification
Iris M™ enables a dramatic visualization of the movement. Motion Amplification™ is a proprietary video processing technique that detects subtle displacement and then converts that movement to a level visible with the naked eye.
Iris M™ enhances the understanding of the components and interrelationships creating the movement and provides a communication tool for technical and non-technical resources.
Iris M™ measures and quantifies mechanical or structural assets that a camera can see with the same accuracy as a contacting displacement sensor
Iris M™ allows you to filter your data and visualize movement at specific frequencies to find the real source of a problem and position your team to fix it.
Displacement and Frequency Measurement
This software module allows you to draw regions of interest and return a time waveform and spectrum in both the horizontal and vertical directions from those locations. Also included are new features in the acquisition software that assist in making measurements designed for displacement.
Frequency Based Filtering
The Iris M™, allows users to isolate individual frequencies in RDI’s Motion Amplification™ software. Combinations of filters can be applied to isolate multiple frequencies. Filtering is performed graphically by the user through a color-coded spectrum. The spectrum represents the displacement for a region of interest in the video data. Simply drag the cursor representing a filter’s cutoff frequency on the spectrum to apply the filters to any frequency.
How easy is the Software to use?
This application allows you to manage all of your Motion Amplification™ data from one place. You will now be able to preview your recordings before opening them, organize your data in a hierarchical structure, and associated files such as PDFs and MP4s with your recordings.
The new Motion Studio Update gives you the ability to create even more powerful videos! Add spectra and waveforms to your videos, show multiple views from a single screen, and edit your videos straight from video editor screen. Motion Studio gives you all the tools for your reports.
Real-world Case Studies
Case 1 – Flow induced pipework foundation problem
IRIS M Camera used to visualize pipework and pump problem. Due to low frequency of this problem this was not obvious in standard velocity data.
Here is a classic example of this. We were carrying out a follow up scan using Motion Amplification Technology. This was done to assess the level of improvement after some corrective work. The MA visual data showed a significant improvement had been made although quite clearly the root cause was still present and had not been eliminated.
Case 2 – Root cause eliminated?
Case 3 – Repeat bearing failures, root cause found
A large centrifugal pump with a history of NDE bearing and seal failures. Motion amplification used to find the root cause.
Iris M™ Downloads
Connect with the Team
Request a professional quotation
Last updated: 25th September 2023