Tau Wireless Vibration Sensor – Introduction
The Tau Wireless Vibration Sensor designed and developed by Sensoteq provides continuous efficiency monitoring for industrial machinery, especially helpful for Screen Monitoring. Using Sensoteq’s unique vibration technology, Tau will detect key parameters for your pattern generating equipment (circular, elliptical or linear). Designed with robustness in mind, Tau can withstand the harshest of conditions including mine, quarry, or waste and recycling plants.
- Detect Stroke Length & Angle, Deflection, G-Force, Up time
- Monitor Screens, Crushers, Centrifuges, Sizers
- 2.5kHz FMax enabling earlier warning and increased diagnostics capability
- 16G Peak Vibration and Ingress protection IP69K, ATEX.
- 3+ years battery life
What is the difference between the Tau and Chi Sensors?
Chi and Tau are wireless condition monitoring devices that measure screens. Chi is portable and works with a Bluetooth app, allowing for easy data collection and upload to the cloud. However, it only provides individual measurements, requiring someone to stand beside the screen for continuous monitoring. Tau measures screens every 5 minutes and transmits the data to the cloud via a normal gateway, the same as the Kappa X, allowing for continuous and remote monitoring of multiple parameters.
“Sensoteq recently visited the Al Dhafra region of the United Arab Emirates for an installation at Tadweer’s C&D waste recycling facility.
The technology enables remote monitoring systems at the station to measure the health and status of devices, such as temperature and vibration per minute, providing data that reduces the likelihood of devices going offline and increasing their lifespan, thereby improving the station’s overall efficiency.”
“We are thrilled to announce that we are the first to implement remote status monitoring solutions in the region, which will help inform our maintenance programs at the site. We have installed sensors on important assets and machinery, like crushers and horizontal screens in order to prevent unplanned deactivation of devices and raise efficiency at the site. These measures are all in line with sustainable production goals, because by ensuring that equipment operates efficiently, we prevent dangerous and costly equipment failure incidents.” – Ahmed Taher, general manager, Al Dhafra Recycling Industries
How does the Tau Wireless Vibration Sensor work?
Gateway and Tau technical specifications
Sensoteq’s proprietary wireless technology utilises a sub 1GHz channel to transmit data, this ensures that existing wireless technology such as Bluetooth or WiFi (2.4GHz) is not impacted. Our wireless channel has been designed to achieve maximum range in industrial environments, where large metal and concrete structures are commonplace.
- Standard Resolution Waveform & Spectrum @ 10kHz (every 24 hours)
- Measurement with Configurable Options (sampling window / frequency / resolution)
- RMS Velocity, RMS Acceleration & Peak to Peak (every minute)
- Temperature (every minute)
- 10kHz FMax
- 64G Peak Vibration
- IP69K Ingress Protection
- 5 Year Battery (User Replaceable)
- Hazardous Area rating
Tau Wireless Vibration Sensor – Key Features
- High G Range & Robustness
Tau has been designed from the ground up to operate in the harshest conditions, whether that be a mine deep in the jungle, or waste processing plant with harsh chemicals, Tau will withstand it all. Using a double barrier intrinsic design the sensitive electronics are protected to ensure uninterrupted monitoring from 2G up to 16G. The sensor can be mounted using a strong magnet in the base, or bolted on for that extra piece of mind. 16 G Peak Vibration. Double Intrinsic Barrier
- Stroke Detection
Using our unique algorithms, the Tau sensor will calculate all the required information for the end user to understand the operating efficiency of the their machine. This is achieved at an unparalleled rate (5 minutes) given the long battery life of the product. By comparing the data between all sides of the machine, the user can determine the proportional difference as a percentage – highlighting faults that lead to lower product/material throughput. Tau is perfectly suited for those applications where improved efficiency means higher returns. 5 Minute Rate.
- Smart Wake
By sensing the vibration generated from your machinery, the Tau sensor can enter an ultra-low power mode to save battery life. As the machine turns on, the sensor will start to capture vibration data again with the first measurements being taken at a key moment during the duty cycle of your machinery. Intelligent Sleep Mode. Saves Battery Life.
“The Tau wireless sensor solution delivered the results we were hoping for!” – Maintenance Manager, Mining Industry
Tau Wireless Vibration Sensor – Key Benefits
- Truly Wireless: Fast and easy implementation in hard to reach areas, our sensors are simple to retrofit, achieving greater plant coverage
- Improved Safety: Keep your people out of harms way. Remove technicians from rotating parts and prevent hazards arising from failure, including environmental damage from system leaks
- Rapid ROI: A cost effective solution to achieve full plant coverage, our systems achieve rapid ROI – typically in less than 2 months
- Data every 5 minutes: Continuous monitoring captures data every minute allowing full visibility of machine health, detecting faults early and preventing unplanned downtime
- Easy Maintenance: Compact design and long battery life means our sensor solutions are plug and play. IP69K makes them suitable for the toughest environments
- Full integration: API available for complete system integration, outputting to your maintenance platform to enable full digitalisation
RMS Case Studies coming soon!
The Sensoteq Chi Kit is a useful and powerful tool in performing health assessments on a range of machinery. The Stroke Analysis & Hammer Test Modes are used for screen health assessment, implemented in a number of ways by customers in end of line assessment by OEMS, overall spot checks on screen performance for customer peace of mind, and assessments over time to identify trends and potential issues in running efficiency and overall output. Assess screens & adjust running parameters for increased output at a fraction of the downtime.
Stroke Analysis Mode [Online]
Mine & Quarry Screens
In this tutorial, learn how to take a defined measurement using the Sensoteq Chi kit in stroke analysis mode. This is beneficial when the user wants immediate feedback on the performance of their machine and to upload this data to the Sensoteq Analytix platform for further analysis.
Chi Sensor Data on Analytix
Mining & Screening
Sensoteq Engineer David explains how Sensoteq Chi sensor data is viewable from your browser, as well as from the Sensoteq Chi app.
Last updated: 21st February 2024