Time Waveform Analysis Course
Time waveform analysis is a powerful condition monitoring tool yet it is often misunderstood and as a result, underutilized. It is an essential skill for experienced vibration analysts.
You will learn the relationship between the FFT spectrum and the time waveform and how different fault conditions can be diagnosed that would be missed using only FFT spectra, such as gearbox tooth faults, bearing faults, flow related faults, impacts and rubs. You will learn how the type and severity of the fault changes the signal shape in both amplitude and frequency. You will also learn how to set up your instruments for data collection, signal processing, alarms and special tests.
Type of Course
This is a private course for organisations with 5 or more students.
Public courses may be offered later in 2021 – send us an email if this is of interest.
Onsite course – UK & Ireland. Worldwide by agreement.
Virtual course – Microsoft Teams/Go-to-Meeting. Worldwide.
Onsite course – 1-2 days
Virtual course – 1 day
No. of Students
Both variations require a minimum of 5 students.
To receive a quotation, use the ‘Onsite Private Course’ button above.
Content and Materials
All items in the Topics section below are covered during the 1-day engagement.
The second onsite day is used for practical onsite applications and for greater topic depth.
Each student is sent the Course Slide deck in printed form.
Time Waveform Analysis Course Description
What is unique about this course?
The Time Waveform Analysis (TWA) class provides instruction in the use of TWA to correctly diagnose machine faults that are difficult or impossible to detect and diagnose using FFT spectrum analysis. Attendees should be experienced in the use of data collection, FFT analysis, vibration instrumentation and software. Attendees will learn in a hands-on type of class how to set up and collect the time waveform correctly, how to analyse the data and determine machine faults and severity. Attendees will also compete in teams on case histories with actual data to practice their new skills and cement the knowledge they have gained during the class.
The Mobius simulators help us make complex signal processing, data acquisition and analysis topics easy to understand. You will be challenged with hands-on (and brains-on) exercises with real case history data to apply your new knowledge and build skills and confidence.
TWA Course – Candidate Profile:
- You have at least two years of vibration analysis experience
- You want to be a more capable and confident vibration analyst
- You want to become more proficient at analysing time waveform data
- You want to fully understand auto-correlation, circle plots and time synchronous averaging
- You want actual experience properly setting up and analysing time waveform data
- You want to test your knowledge through analysis and diagnosis of real machine data and faults
Time waveform and the FFT
- Signal shapes, impacts
- How faults affect the signal shape
- Modulation and beating
- Signal processing, sampling rates vs Fmax
- Samples vs LOR, practical setup
- Resolving frequencies on the time waveform
- Proper selection of sample rate, record length and amplitude units
- Fault detection and pattern recognition
- Understanding beating, modulation and distortion
Fault conditions and their waveforms:
- Gear faults, rolling element bearing faults, misalignment, looseness, lubrication, impacts, rubs, cavitation, and turbulence
Time waveform analysis
- Proper selection of amplitude units, signal distortion
- Amplitude modulation and beat frequencies
The comprehensive approach to TWA
- Using the right tools for the right job
Lab exercises to develop skills through problems and appropriate corrective action
Can this course be take from a distance?
We cover all the topics listed on both the onsite and virtual course. This course does lend itself best to an onsite engagement.
Do I need my own technical equipment?
No, although many students do have access to equipment onsite. If that is not the case, we will anyway demonstrate using our own equipment.
How much does the course cost?
Pricing depends on a number of factors. Please complete the ‘Custom Quotation’ form above.
Have you subscribed to our YouTube channel?