What are common types of Misalignment?
- Common misalignments are usual and can happen to machines in a variety of ways.
- Left alone misalignment can reduce the longevity of bearings, shafts, seals, and even couplings.
- Misalignment is the root cause of most machine breakdowns: bearing failures, and damaged seals, shafts, and couplings.
- It is widely believed that 50% of machine failures are due to misalignment.
- Treating the misalignment early on, whether by a soft-foot correction, dial indicator alterations or a full-fledged laser alignment, will help to prevent total machine failure.
- The basic rule of thumb is, machines that are precision aligned will function for a longer period and costs less to run.
Arlanxeo Performance Elastomers, Belgium, win a BEMAS Asset Performance Award; from all at RMS Reliability, many congratulations on this well-deserved achievement.
In the category ‘Best Improvement in Maintenance & Asset Management’, Christophe Van de Maele and Kristof Van Den Berghe of Arlanxeo were allowed to take the trophy home. The four case examples in which they used their new motion amplification camera received great acclaim. Read more
How can Motion Amplification help with Soft foot?
- Motion amplification proves to be ideal for visualization of structural issues and resonance problems in machines.
- Vibration problem at 100Hz which is electrically related should be visualized using an MA camera.
- Machine frame distortion is usually known as soft foot, as it often prevents the machine from touching all its feet to its base.
No.42 Goldcrest Close
Essex CO4 3FN
Company Reg No. 03808313
VAT No. GB 741737428
Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1206 791917
Services: Vibration Analysis | Wireless Sensors | Motion Amplification | Ultrasound Analysis | Criticality Analysis | Oil Analysis | Thermography | Drone Inspections; Products: AMS Wireless | AMS 2140 | AMS Machinery Manager | Kappa X | Motion Amplification IRIS M | SDT Ultrasound | CRYSOUND Acoustic Imager | CM Oil Pod | Vibration Analysis Wall Chart; Training: VCAT-I | VCAT-II | VCAT-III | VCAT-IV | ARP Advocate | ARP Engineer | ARP Leader | Ultrasound CAT I | CBM | iLearnReliability CM; Team: Dean Whittle | Stuart Walker | Wendy Whittle | Steven Whittle | Paul Simbeck-Hampson | Keith Gallant | Andrew Loder | Craig Smith | Craig Brawn | Graham Williams | James Sylvester | Tom Murphy | Nigel Taylor | Micky Jackson | George Elia